Animal Care Attendant / Adoption Counselor
Reports to: Animal Care & Intake Director
Salary: starting - $14.00 hourly
Hourly position, Full Time
Must be outgoing and energetic with proven data entry skills, impeccable customer service skills, excellent time management skills, and superior organizational skills. This position provides practical support for the day-to-day activities involved with adoptions, intake, and animal care. Counselors must be compassionate, team-focused, detail-oriented, and flexible. Must be 18 years of age to work with directly with the animals.
- Work with a team of skilled animal welfare professionals to provide industry-leading care and expertise.
- Assists in animal care as needed. Other duties as assigned to support overall adoptions or shelter operations
- Animal enclosures are cleaned daily. Possibility of exposure to animal dander, animal feces, animal urine, and animal blood. Proper PPE is provided
- Responsible for learning our software to assist animals moving through the intake to adoption process and completing adoptions
- Actively works with the public to find the right family pet by learning the personalities and needs of animals in our care.
- Show empathy and compassion for the animals in our care and the community we serve
- Provide a strong customer service experience
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Assist the shelter veterinarian as needed. Including, but not limited to, administering medication, administering vaccinations, implanting microchips, assisting with euthanasia, recording/documenting illness, etc.
Working hours and conditions:
- Willingness to work with, and is not allergic to, dogs and cats
- Experience in dog and cat handling, other than your pets, is preferred, but we will train the right person
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds occasionally and stand for long periods
- 40 hours per week; plus extra hours as needed
- The schedule varies weekly; the shelter operates seven days per week. Weekends and some holidays are to be expected.
- Must maintain reliable transportation to/from work
- Scrubs and closed-toed shoes are required. HHS can provide scrubs if needed
Please complete our survey AND direct resumes, cover letters, and any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.