The Hinsdale Humane Society offers two internship programs for those interested in working with animals and/or those interested in a veterinary medicine career.
HHS Internship Program
In the HHS Internship Program college undergraduates work alongside shelter staff and volunteer veterinarians to gain valuable, hands-on experience including:
- Performing preliminary physical exams
- Administering vaccinations
- Administering medication to ill animals
- Assessing animal temperament and behavior
- Handling difficult animals
- Counseling prospective and current pet owners
- Offering solutions to behavioral problems
Interns work 40 hours a week, including weekends, for 3 months. Upon completion of the internship, a $1,500 scholarship is awarded. For more information or to apply, please contact the shelter at (630) 323-5637 or email@example.com.
Jordan Crist Memorial Externship Program
The Jordan Crist Memorial Externship Program is named in memory of an exceptional young man who truly cared for the well-being of animals. In this program, veterinary students work:
- Alongside staff at the West Suburban Veterinary Associates to gain valuable, hands-on experience with advanced medical equipment, such as digital radiography, ultra-sound, laser, digital dental radiography, and laparoscope.
- One day a week at Hinsdale Humane Society to learn breed identification, behavior counseling, animal handling skills, temperament assessment, and customer service skills.
This paid externship lasts six weeks. Upon completion of the externship, a $1000 scholarship is awarded. For more information or to apply, please contact Janet Storjohann at West Suburban Veterinary Associates at 630-968-4212 or firstname.lastname@example.org.